the ocean

the ocean
Paraparaumu beach

The comings and goings of a hard working kiwi whose just moved home

March 4, 2009

Donating Blood

  They called me yesterday,...
 The Blood bank is short of blood ( like usual ) and   I haven't donated for a while, it's  probably 18 months, so  I figured I could. I had great intentions last summer. but you know where they went.
 I used to go to the hospital, but they had questions about how long had I spent in  the UK.
 now they have moved it to the blood bank,  and they've changed their questionnaire. it looks a lot more relaxed. ( no i don't have mad cow disease ) yes I have spent more than 90 days in England.

 Usually there is a wonderful vein in my right arm... usually.  But I was bleeding slow they moved the needle and wriggled it around .... a whole bunch. and still i bled slow.  by the time the 15 minutes was up I was only just over the limit 410 mls when  the limit is 405.     Then they tried to get 5 test tubes of blood for whatever testing,  that just wasn't going to happen.
 But I  have  another arm.  the  veins are very small, so with a smaller needle they tried again.  guess what!   that didn't work either.  
 Back to my right arm they go 1/2 inch above the first hole.  and low and behold it bled just fine.
 we got there, Not sure how long it all took. but I have 3 holes  in me.  i have done my good deed for the day. 
It s just as well i am easy to get along with.
 I have a small bruise in my left arm

 I wonder how big the bruise will be in the morning?

No comments: