the ocean

the ocean
Paraparaumu beach

The comings and goings of a hard working kiwi whose just moved home

June 14, 2009

Potash and Aphids

My garden grows apace as one would expect. I have lemon basil, parsley and mint. i picked some mint the other day. and the lemon basil is probably ready as well. not quite sure what to do with lemon basil, so maybe I'll give it away.
My sad story is that I found some aphids on the peppers. then I went out to the garden and saw a lady bug so picked him/ her up and pet her in the greenhouse. i actually found 2 , but what are the chances that I have a boy and a girl of breading age. not sure what i am going to do other wise.
I have a strawberry tucked in there too and i friend said to day that it looked OK , i thought it was a little sad looking.
my lawn is full of Dandelions!


The tomatoes still haven't got flowers but i did prune them the other and they are growing well. today i went o the local greenhouse and got some Potassium and put that around , hopefully this will help the tomatoes do a bit better this year. and maybe some more in august. the Ru barb round the other side is all looking good and i could probably pick some. and the wild raspberry's are flowering as is there want.
the cucumbers are doing really well with lots of flowers, since i didn't quite get the last of the clear stuff up their is lots of sports for the birds and bees to get in and do their thing. work still apace. but I only have 5 nights this week. more time for projects on Monday. ( or I could go dancing)

1 comment:

AfternoonMoon said...

Oh, I will find the recipe for pesto. Your lemon basil would be great for that. I'll bring over some chicken, you have the pasta and artichoke and we will make ourselves a killer cold summer salad. Got any cucumbers?

As for the aphids, see if Hometown has any bags of ladybugs. You can keep them in the greenhouse and they will eat them all up?