the ocean

the ocean
Paraparaumu beach

The comings and goings of a hard working kiwi whose just moved home

February 27, 2010

the USS Yorktown

so i caught up with Kerrie on the Sunday i picked her up after 4 days stuck in NY, ( in a snow storm) Hung out and went shopping on Monday and Drove to Charleston Tuesday.
Wednesday i went to the the Yorktown, Navel history is kinda fun. i thought i would look at the US stuff. ( since i am not in England)
USS Yorktown is a 1943 aircraft carrier.
the tours were self guided signed tours so you could see which parts you wanted, for my opinion they could do with spending some money on better signage around. The first place I want to was the engine room,wonderful to look and all the nobs and dials and very large engines, but not a lot of info. what size were the engines, how many gal of oil did they burn? dammed if I know. there was no signs.

Alongside there was a submarine the USS Clamagore from 1945. I didn't realize how small they were. this one had 80 crew, and quarters were tight. the movies you see don't show just how small they were.
the shop was pretty good , I always think that I am not going to spend money but I bought a photo of my self with the Yorktown in the background. ( which i hope to scan and upload ) as well as a little tall ship. they didn't have the HMS Victory so i got the HMS Bounty instead. (One day I will own a big HMS Victory)


Posted by Picasa

No comments: