the ocean

the ocean
Paraparaumu beach

The comings and goings of a hard working kiwi whose just moved home

November 7, 2009

Ginger

if i really dont get to eat it all i can just candy itI have always liked ginger, crystallized ginger to me is comfort food. it goes really well with a glass of milk and chocolate. preferably all in your mouth at the same time.

The other week I went out with friends to an Asian restaurant, where the decoration on the plate was shaved ginger. so i ate it, and most of the ginger on friends plate as well.
then last weekend i was in the store and i saw ginger root - fresh stuff. Now I have mostly preserved stuff, anyway thought i would give it a try. Didn't know what much to do with ginger root. but that is what google is for. I didn't know how long it was going to keep.
it keeps 3 weeks in the fridge. so now i have to eat lots of ginger. dammed if i am going to waste it. I had a couple of shavings in a salad- its goood. Then I read about grated ginger, so I put some in a lemon and honey drink. spicy. Hell ginger is a spice.
tonight i cooked several slices in a stew. it was just fine but I could have put more in.
and now i sit here with another lemon and honey drink ( good for the immune system so i don't get sick- is my excuse) with some more ginger in it - of course.
if i really don't get to eat it all I can just candy it.

2 comments:

amy said...

you can use ginger in BBQ sauce (homemade). It goes well with pork.

AfternoonMoon said...

works well with Brandy!